[Runequest] RQ 3: Free Cats!

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 01:18:23 AEDT 2017

The reason it works in Traveller - and I see no reason a similar system
couldn't work here* - is that Traveller has an extensively quantified
mechanical system supporting the world in play.  That is, world "X" has
quantified characteristics in terms of population, atmosphere,
hydrographics, etc all of which (rightly or wrongly, overgeneralizing or
not, it works...) allow the place to be characterized as "Agricultural" or
"Hi Pop" etc; these classifications then inform the supply of surplus goods
and the demand for those goods.
Glorantha has none of this structure mainly because Greg didn't care much
about economics.
Certainly, one could build quite a major game supplement on such a premise,
laying out a similar structure and classifying the various Glorantha
population centers similarly.
Decades ago, I'd started once on what would have amounted to a Gloranthan
periplus from Sog City to the Eastern Isles, and then got distracted by
trying to realistically calculate sailing times for that era of ship, which
then distracted me into trying to write a program that would show
reasonably accurate weather for any place in Glorantha....which I never
finished.
It did end up leaving me with pretty ample skills in MS Access. :)

*Traveller's system is, due to the communication restrictions, actually
pretty archaic in model; some trade is carried by megacorps, but most of
the mercantile activity (or at least enough to be worth playing) is the old
fashioned "trader buys goods herself at X, sells them at Y"

-Steve
(my personal email)