[Runequest] RQ 3: Free Cats!

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Mon Oct 9 21:08:07 AEDT 2017

I've started playing in a new RQ3 game and, being a poor sorceress (what
do you mean I start with 23 pennies?), I thought I would buy a dog and
make use of my tiny skill ratings in Animal Lore and my Dominate (Canine)
spell.

Based in a large city, I shelled out the 0.25 pennies for a "common dog"
and noticed there was significant variation in prices between large city,
small city, and wilds. The opportunity for trading my way out my
impoverished situation became clear!

In a large city cats are *free*, in a small city they're 0.5 pennies, and
in rural and wild areas they're 5 pennies. I could have an infinite supply
of cats!

More seriously, it is evident that the variation between prices from city
to country is at least partially the result of natural resources and
agriculture (country) and transport and protection of manufactured goods
(city), but I wonder if there has been an attempt to develop a trade
system in any edition or supplement of RuneQuest. Whilst I am not
expecting something as elaborate as Traveller, which makes it quite a
function of the game, it would make an interesting extension to the core
game rules.

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
Mngmnt) (Chifley)