[Runequest] RuneQuest and H.P Lovecraft

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Thu Jun 23 11:52:34 AEST 2016

Thanks everyone. What you all said is what I thought was the case but I
wanted to make sure just in case there was a strange component of
Gloranthan-lore that I was hitherto unaware of.

In an attempt to elaborate on the subject, has anyone experimented with
some of the Call of Cthulhu mechanics in RuneQuest? I am thinking in
particular the use of the SANity statistic.

I can imagine that fantasy characters would be resistant to odd beings as
part of their life (the first time a human Gloranthan child encounters an
Elf in the woods would be a but scary) and certainly they would have a
stronger reaction if encountering a Chaos monstrosity. Fantasy Earth
characters would probably be more prone to being spooked.

To give a genuine fantasy feel I believe that it would be best not to
simply transport CoC rules as writ to RQ. Perhaps instead that certain
creatures were able to cause a POW vs POW attack when perceived that could
cause (temporary, lasting, permanent) madness?

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
Mngmnt) (Chifley)