[Runequest] RuneQuest and H.P Lovecraft

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 21:59:26 AEST 2016

I'd have to say it's pretty unlikely.
First, we HAVE the principals (Stafford, Perrin, et alia) and they've never
been hesitant to talk about their inspirations.  I've never seen any
suggestion that Lovecrafts work was involved.  In particular, I think it's
worth noting that Glorantha is particularly free of the 'great old ones
sleeping that we don't want to disturb' trope that has become so widespread.

Further, the Cthulhu materials didn't really clearly become public domain
until well after the copyright law revisions of the 1970s - while you could
certainly find HP Lovecraft stuff before that, it wasn't the royalty-free
explosion it has been since around the 1990s.

No, I suspect you're talking to someone that perhaps believes CoC actually
came before RQ, and thus has the cause/effect arrow pointed backwards.

-Steve