[Runequest] RuneQuest and H.P Lovecraft

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Wed Jun 22 21:43:34 AEST 2016

I've been having a conversation with one Kris Doernbach on Facebook who
has told me that "Technically RuneQuest is based upon H.P. Lovecraft's
dreamlands from his Dream Cycle stories and novellas".

It seems to me that they may be mistaken, and are referring to Call of
Cthulhu's Dreamlands, however they assure me: "[T]hey had to expand upon
the RPG to sell more stuff, it is simple as that. Even the publisher and
original designers admit it was based on Lovecraft."

It's a fascinating proposition, however I am unaware of this from any of
the prefaces or introductions from the various editions, or from any of
the interviews that this was the case.

Nevertheless, I am prepared to entertain the idea... Has anyone heard of
such a thing, because it's news to me.

All this said, Call of Cthulhu meets RuneQuest is a good gory fun.

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
Mngmnt) (Chifley)