[Runequest] R: Re: Family Backgrounds in RuneQuest 7

takenegi at libero.it takenegi at libero.it
Wed Jun 15 17:53:02 EST 2016

In my RuneQuest (II or III) campaign, I usually adopt a "pre-game" approach to char gen. That is, player roll stats, culture and parents' occupation, then he is allowed (with minimal die rolls) to change occupation and to get some perks. For example (hypothetical scenario) you roll a civilized farmer, but want to become a trader. Then I would say "OK you go to the city and try to become an apprentice to Kost the Tracker". You roll the dice to see if you are accepted as an initiate of Issaries... and fail. Then I would ask him to roll POWx5. If it's a success, "You end up living in the streets for a few days after exhausting your funds. You don't want to go back to the farm, but don't really know what to do. Finally you are approached by shady individual who offers you a warm meal and a job offer. Do you follow him?" If you do, then you are inducted in the Thieves' Guild and get the thief previous experience. Otherwise, you go back to your parents' farm as the prodigal son... or something like that.