[Runequest] Family Backgrounds in RuneQuest 7

David Crowell gpfdavid at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jun 15 06:29:09 EST 2016

The full family generation rules in Pendragon are (thankfully) both optional and not usually necessary after the first character in a campaign.

I am not a fan of character generation for any game that takes an hour or more. Half an hour or under is definitely my preference.

I also agree that if character generation is going to be an extended process game play needs to reward that effort. In Pendragon extended families and the history of a family passing from one character to his descendants is a big focus of game play. In RuneQuest while a character’s culture, and cult affiliations play a major role, in depth family history usually has not had the same immediate impact.

Combat suitability is not the only metric by which I measure character viability, but RuneQuest combat can take down even the most well optimized character with one critical. It is hard to risk a character that I have substantial time investment in for any reason. When that time investment has been in character generation rather than play it does make it easier.

cheers,
Dave