[Runequest] Family Backgrounds in RuneQuest 7

Stephen McGinness stephenmcg at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 14 18:23:46 EST 2016

Lev has a point about gameplay.  When a character takes five minutes to create it is less traumatic thinking you need to generate another.

When it takes an hour and the investment of substantial creativity then that random slingshot to the head is quite a blow.

Runequest combat is deadly, you can expect maimings and deaths.  Unlike Heroquest there is no overarching narrative mechanic to help make PCs special.

A move to greater investment of time in character creation needs to be accompanied by a mechanic that protects and nurtures that creativity.

It is not enough to say particular archetypes should not get involved in combat unless you actually want to restrict the breadth of viable player characters.

I have to say that I am intrigued by the direction the game is taking but it needs to deliver SO much.  For us old'uns there is a need to capture the feel of RQ2, to really evoke that gameplay.  It also needs to reflect 40 years of game design evolution to appeal to a gaming community that has come to expect more.

How to be retro AND revolutionary AT THE SAME TIME, needs a work of nigh genius.

I am waiting and watching for just that...