[Runequest] Family Backgrounds in RuneQuest 7

Diane Muckey sylvermoonkitten at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 11:00:47 EST 2016

I am of two minds, for those that like realism, creating a cultural track system that shows your place like some games do is fine, as an option, some players like that, others like you want total freedom how to develop your character.  In RQ3 we had a blast, moving past our cultural limits as adventurers.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Lev Lafayette<lev at rpgreview.net> wrote:   Our friends at Chaosium just released another post on the next edition of
RuneQuest.

http://www.chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-8

Personally, I have a negative reaction to the proposal on the grounds that
it slows down chargen significantly (especially for a game where the first
couple of rubble rats you encounter can turn you to mince) and it takes
the player's creative input out of their hands into random dice rolls.

When generating a character if you know the culture, parent's occupation,
and cult, that's enough for a starting character. If they survive a couple
of sessions then start filling in some of the blanks, and build from
there.

The chargen rules for family backgrounds in Pendragon (for example) or
worse still, the generations in Nephilim, are not a good model to look
towards, and nor is the Lifepath for Cyberpunk.

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
Mngmnt) (Chifley)