[Runequest] Family Backgrounds in RuneQuest 7

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Mon Jun 13 09:42:39 EST 2016

Our friends at Chaosium just released another post on the next edition of
RuneQuest.

http://www.chaosium.com/blog/designing-the-new-runequest-part-8

Personally, I have a negative reaction to the proposal on the grounds that
it slows down chargen significantly (especially for a game where the first
couple of rubble rats you encounter can turn you to mince) and it takes
the player's creative input out of their hands into random dice rolls.

When generating a character if you know the culture, parent's occupation,
and cult, that's enough for a starting character. If they survive a couple
of sessions then start filling in some of the blanks, and build from
there.

The chargen rules for family backgrounds in Pendragon (for example) or
worse still, the generations in Nephilim, are not a good model to look
towards, and nor is the Lifepath for Cyberpunk.

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
Mngmnt) (Chifley)