[Runequest] Any philosophers in the room?

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 10:18:10 AEDT 2016

I'm always happy to debate philosophy.

I've read neither of those two books, although I'd heard about the first
previously (not to its credit).  It is "book 70" in their popular culture
and philosophy series, such as "The Simpsons and Philosophy" and "Buffy the
Vampire Slayer and Philosophy".

I'd say there are two categories of questions:
1) the meta questions: Philosophical questions that are intrinsic to
role-playing and role-playing games: I think these are fairly interesting,
because they address questions about why and how we play such games.  I
think the answers to these questions (and the questions themselves) can
help us see issues in real life from different perspectives....although
likely then these issues will often 'beach' on the same irresolvables as in
IRL philosophy.
2) philosophical questions intrinsic to the *world *of Glorantha
specifically: "is it morally just to kill a broo infant that hasn't done
anything wrong?" (probably the closest we could get to an otherwise common
D&D question about alignments and intrinsic evil in Glorantha) I find these
less interesting because, the environment being entirely synthetic, for me
it's just less relevant to anything.

-Steve

-Steve
(my personal email)