[Runequest] Skill checks (was Re: RQ 6 Failed Athletics)

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Fri Sep 12 10:14:01 EST 2014

On Fri, September 12, 2014 9:20 am, Steve Perrin wrote:
> These days, I hand out Experience Points (somewhere between 3 and 5 as a
> rule) and you can spend a point to get an Experience roll against a Skill
> you have checked. If unsuccessful, you can spend another point to roll for
> the same skill, but that expends a point. Once a skill has increased, that
> check gets erased, but you can save a check for several games before
> finally using a point to try to increase.

Whatever works.. :) I pull out the second part of this sentence whenever
players start try to abuse the skill-experience check system.

"Whenever an adventurer successfully uses a skill and the gamemaster
agrees that the success is worth an experience roll, the player checkmarks
the small box next to that skill on the adventurer sheet" (p38R RQ3 Deluxe
Edition)

Basically the old systems of skill checks were meant to be for memorable
and stressful uses of a skill.

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
Mngmnt) (Chifley)