[Runequest] RQ 6 Failed Athletics

Steve Perrin steve.perrin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 08:20:25 EST 2014

These days, I hand out Experience Points (somewhere between 3 and 5 as a
rule) and you can spend a point to get an Experience roll against a
Skill you have checked. If unsuccessful, you can spend another point to
roll for the same skill, but that expends a point. Once a skill has
increased, that check gets erased, but you can save a check for several
games before finally using a point to try to increase.

You can also spend Experience Points (in various numbers) to gain
talents or increases in characteristics, so sometimes points are saved
for that purpose.

In games I have played with Mac McMahon (now, alas, gone from us) as GM
he would let you roll if you had 5 checks on a skill. This lets you
either spread your experience widely or focus on special skills.

Both methods tend to reduce check shopping as a regular activity.

Steve Perrin