[Runequest] RQ 6 Failed Athletics

Lawrence Whitaker lawrence.whitaker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:53:36 EST 2014

It that's true for you then consider yourself fortunate.

Seems I've been lucky. As I said, I've certainly seen debates, but never
especially nasty ones.

For certain gamers of a min/max mindset, skill checks are equivalent the
much coveted Experience Points in certain other games, sometimes provoking
a most unseemly desperation to use every skill in just about every game
session in order to get the skill checks.

Oh, I don't doubt it happens! The Golf Bag of Weapons syndrome is
infamous... :)

I've grown to the perspective that skill increase checks should probably be
meted out by the GM rather than *automatically* generated by the player's
actions (note that I say "player's" rather than "character's"
intentionally).

I completely agree. There are many arguments for GM control over how many
improvement rolls characters receive and I do think they out-trump a lot of
the arguments for the old Skill Ticks for Successful use arguments. But I
don't want to get into such arguments here. I (and RQ6) agrees with you
though.

On 11 September 2014 08:44, Stephen Posey <stephenlposey at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> [...]

Will there be time enough and World for me to sing that song?