[Runequest] RQ 6 Failed Athletics

Lawrence Whitaker lawrence.whitaker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:03:23 EST 2014


>
> Thank you for saying that. I have recently been involved in a discussion
> with some very unpleasant people on a different forum (which I left as a
> result) who were in absolute denial about this, claiming that every test
> of a skill in RuneQuest requires a skill roll (and that skill checks where
> the only way to gain experience).


Wow... that's...

Fortunately I've rarely come across such close-mindedness within the RQ
tribe. I know that the Skill Check method of experience has its adherents,
but I've never come across any especially *nasty* arguments over either
when to roll or X is better than Y for experience. You did the right thing
by walking away.

The fact I quoted line and page numbers from both 3rd and 6th editions (I
> honestly couldn't be bothered checking the rest) was notwithstanding.
> There are some people out there who are bad-mouthing RQ when it is clear
> that they just don't understand the game and haven't even bothered to
> check the rules.


This is sadly true of so many game systems. We don't mind honest,
constructive criticism of any aspect of the RQ6 rules, but we do wish that
some critics would take the time to read and perhaps even *play *the game
before launching into a tirade.

Sorry, I'm getting a little rant about this, but it was quite annoying. I
> will write up a rules summary to post somewhere prominent so if anyone
> does a google search in the future they'll find the reality rather than
> the fiction.


Feel free to run it past Pete and I, Lev. We'll help make sure it's
bullet-proof.

On 10 September 2014 19:28, Lev Lafayette <lev at rpgreview.net> wrote:

>
> On Thu, September 11, 2014 6:24 am, Lawrence Whitaker wrote:
> >
> > In a simple, straightforward situation like this, the GM needs to decide
> > if a roll *is *actually necessary. If the characters could be reasonably
> > expected to figure out what the sign means with a little head-scratching,
> >  then a roll probably isn't required at all. However, if that sign
> > pointing to Sog City is written in Durulz blood, and there's a duck in
> the
> > party trying to make sense of what it says... a crit could lead to a lot
> > of fun. Depends on the circumstances.
>
> Thank you for saying that. I have recently been involved in a discussion
> with some very unpleasant people on a different forum (which I left as a
> result) who were in absolute denial about this, claiming that every test
> of a skill in RuneQuest requires a skill roll (and that skill checks where
> the only way to gain experience).
>
> The fact I quoted line and page numbers from both 3rd and 6th editions (I
> honestly couldn't be bothered checking the rest) was notwithstanding.
>
> There are some people out there who are bad-mouthing RQ when it is clear
> that they just don't understand the game and haven't even bothered to
> check the rules.
>
> Sorry, I'm getting a little rant about this, but it was quite annoying. I
> will write up a rules summary to post somewhere prominent so if anyone
> does a google search in the future they'll find the reality rather than
> the fiction.
>
> --
> Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
> Mngmnt) (Chifley)
> mobile:  0432 255 208
> RFC 1855 Netiquette Guidelines
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
> http://www.quicksales.com.au/shop/RPG-Review.aspx
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Runequest mailing list
> Runequest at rpgreview.net
> http://mail.rpgreview.net/mailman/listinfo/runequest_rpgreview.net
>



-- 
Will there be time enough and World for me to sing that song?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.rpgreview.net/pipermail/runequest_rpgreview.net/attachments/20140911/407cfd1c/attachment.html>


More information about the Runequest mailing list