[Runequest] RQ 6 Failed Athletics

Pete Nash the.iqari at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 17:27:53 EST 2014

> I disagree with the claim that the meaning of failure cannot be context
> independent. I think that consistency of what a failed roll means can and
> should be sought. Especially in the same skill!

All I can say is that the intent of the rules is this: a Failure represents
your inability to complete a task - no harm done, whereas a Fumble results
in something disastrous and harmful.

In the case of leaping a chasm using the proposed alternate
roll-again-for-distance rule, a simple Failure _could_ result in the
character plunging to their death... and its difficult to envisage what
additional disaster occurs with a Fumble, save for automatically falling or
pulling another PC over the edge with them.

Now I'm not against the alternate rule, its actually quite elegant, but
it's against the spirit of RQ6 in general to unduly penalize players for
attempting an action. As always YRQMV and if rolling again for distance
works for you, then go for it!