[Runequest] RQ 6 Failed Athletics

Pete Nash the.iqari at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:46:37 EST 2014

> The *results* of a failed roll are certainly context dependent. I would
> like to see the meaning of a failed roll however to be context
> independent.

But the meaning of a failed jump _cannot_ be context independent. What you
decide to do on your run up depends entirely on the situation.

If it was a simple sporting event then of course you jump less far, but you
still jump as there is no danger. If on the other hand, you were faced with
a bottomless chasm then its more likely you would abort the jump rather
than plunge to your death... but even that psychological situation could
change if there's a hydra chasing you and this is your one and only chance
to escape.

If you are uncomfortable with the RAW, then use the following - if the
result situation is not life threatening then the character still jumps but
only covers (1d4+5)x10% of their normal distance. If the result of the jump
is likely to cost the character their life, then they abort the jump before
launching themselves and must either try again or abandon any hope of
making the leap.