[Runequest] RQ 6 Failed Athletics

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Tue Sep 9 14:11:52 EST 2014

On Mon, September 8, 2014 8:24 pm, Bruce Mason wrote:
> On 8 September 2014 03:35, Lev Lafayette <lev at rpgreview.net> wrote:
>
>> True, the issue I'm trying to some clarity on is whether one uses "fail
>> to jump" (i.e., you freeze, like a failed climb), or "the jump fails"
>> (i.e.,
>> you don't jump as far as expected).
>
> I think that has to be context dependent. The default, as with throw and
> so on, is presumably that you don't perform up to your potential. You
> don't jump as far, you don't throw as far, you don't sprint as fast, your
> dive is not up to its usual standard and so on.

You don't climb as far? So the rules should be changed on that one...

I'm OK with that.

> The implications of what that means will depend. If you're jumping over a
>  bottomless chasm and you need to jump as far as you possibly can to
> clear it, then failing for me would be rather more disastrous than having
> a long jump competition in a sandpit.

The *results* of a failed roll are certainly context dependent. I would
like to see the meaning of a failed roll however to be context
independent.

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
Mngmnt) (Chifley)