[Runequest] Swords As Gravemarkers

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Fri Jan 10 15:07:50 EST 2014

On Fri, January 10, 2014 12:11 am, Lawrence Whitaker wrote:
> I can see Styopa's point, but in practice, I think using a sword as a
> grave
> marker would be counter productive. For one thing, its a waste of a good
> sword. In many cultures swords were expensive and a mark of status: you
> wouldn't just stick it in the ground in the hope that it would stay there,
> nobly marking the last resting place of the fallen. Chances are it would
> simply be stolen. Burying the sword *with *the owner was more commonplace
> -
> for the reasons Styopa states. You might use a broken sword as a marker,
> but a perfectly good one? I doubt it.

Pretty much this. A good sword is worth something. Even a dodgy sword can
be converted into something. Really heroic characters may be interred with
their sword.

A spear on the other hand...

In a Glorantha setting I can imagine a Humakti gravemarker with
appropriate protections from "adventurers". Using an iron sword as a
gravemarker? Well...

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GradCertTerAdEd (Murdoch), GradCertPM, MBA (Tech
Mngmnt) (Chifley)