[Runequest] Swords As Gravemarkers

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 00:00:59 EST 2014

Never really thought of it.
I guess at the minimum, 'having a grave marker' could be considered part of
the minimum ceremony necessary to lay a person's spirit at rest.  Having
nothing else handy, a sword could certainly serve for a warrior.
If you wanted to make it more significant, you could go further and REQUIRE
that a warrior (of some standing) be buried with their weapons, or they end
up in the afterlife unarmed forever, and that using a sword as the marker
would "count" for that.
Finally, YGMV but you could even say that warriors would have to have a
sword as part of their grave marker or they'd be angered and come back as
warrior spirits.

Lot of variety possible there, but it mostly depends on the burial rituals
in the cultures in your game.