Sven Nore'n sven_noren at yahoo.se
Sat Feb 8 07:26:41 EST 2014

From: "Sean Foster" <ebaninth at iinet.net.au>

To: <runequest at rpgreview.net>
Subject: [Runequest] Unarmoured Combatants

> Who would win:
>
> An Elite Viking Warrior vs himself, one fully armoured and one not, both with sword & shield?
>
> I always pictured that the non-armoured would have an evens or better chance, but what do SCA people think?
>
> Would the shield make a difference?
>
>Anybody investigated this as a physical rather than mental musing exercise.
>
>Thanks
>Sean

My money is on the guy with the armour. If you miss a parry armour gives you a much better chance at survival unless the armour is very ill-fitting (I.e. hindering movement AND leaving gaps.)

And sword-and-shield vs. single sword is a huge difference! There are just som many more manuevers available with two weapons.

I have fought SCA combat, both duel and melee, though my preference was always the spear in melees. It is generally acknowledged that a good sword&board fighter can hold his own against any comers whatever weapon they bring.

Sven Norén
SCA.k.a. Frithiof Skägge