[Runequest] Unarmoured Combatants

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 04:36:47 EST 2014

Thanks Phil.
It's the argument I always raise when people want to make (based on their
MMO gaming or fantasy fiction books) what are colloquially called "dodge
tanks" - lightly armored warriors who rely on their active defenses.  In
RQ3, dodge is a damned attractive ability - dodging an attacker allows you
to attempt to dodge ALL their attacks; plus a successful dodge is 100%
effective: it could be a little scratch for 1d2 or a giant smash for
12d12....dodge it, you're safe.  That's great.
The problem is, of course, when things go wrong. Also there are going to be
times in an adventurer's career when they are attacked ENTIRELY
unexpectedly, for which that amazing dodge skill is ... completely
worthless.
If you miss that block or miss that parry or miss on that dodge...armor is
always there. (OK, yes, crits excepted).  It constrains you, it exhausts
you, it's expensive, it needs maintenance and really it's only going to be
of use against light/moderate blows.  Someone swings at you for that
proverbial 12d12 smash, I don't care if you're wearing a full suit of
Maximillian-era jousting plate, you're going to get smushed.
But, I'd argue, that 95% of what you're going to suffer will be blows <10
points.
That would be why I'd guess most IRL warriors settled for armor plus shield
- an active defense (shield) that is ALSO useful against missiles (not a
trivial issue, generally) - with armor for a backup of all that stuff that
gets past the active defense.