[Runequest] Extreme Cases

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Tue Sep 3 06:46:48 EST 2013

On 27/08/2013, at 8:51 AM, Styopa <styopa1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Craig Simons <craigms at q.com> wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> On Aug 27, 2013, at 8:20 AM, Phil Hibbs wrote:
>
>> This does raise the interesting question of what happens when illuminates have children.
>
> The primary point was to see if anyone thought this was an "interesting question". No one seems to think cross-cult marriages is interesting, though. That was what I actually thought might generate interest, although most combinations would be disastrous for offspring without Illumination.
>
> Oh I think the question is worth asking; in-game-culture, the match would be seen to be rather stupid and silly by everyone around.  Then again, love between two people isn't usually constrained (from what I've seen) to cultural norms, either.
>
> I think it's almost impossible that a child brought up by illuminated parents wouldn't themselves be illuminated.  The raising of children is, in its most fundamental sense, an exercise in cultural brainwashing at very deep levels.  I can't imagine that a child WOULDN'T be imprinted with the parents' fundamental values, regardless of what the parent wants to convey.  That said, it's entirely possible that the imprinting could be positive OR NEGATIVE: the child would be illuminated but might come to resent it - I can quite easily see a rebellious teen reacting to the relativism of illumination by becoming a zealot for a specific cause, their (own) illumination-be-damned.

	Illumination is a deep, magical, and subjectively experienced insight. It isn't the same as simply knowing. In fact, Illumination is clearly both difficult to pass on other than indirectly, and often somewhat traumatic.
	Of course, if you were brought up by Illuminates you would probably share some of that worldview, but that isn't the same. So it would be very possible for someone brought up by an Illuminate to not themselves be Illuminated.
Of course, it is also possible that Illumination can happen to a youth. It might, or might not be, something that traumatises them.

> Then again, re-reading what I'm writing, this is perhaps a sort of navel-contemplating question more suited to the Glorantha Digest. :)

	Yes indeedy. Rules wise, it is a very different question - for RQ2 or RQ3, just hanging out with Illuminates isn't enough, you have to specifically be asked Riddles, and not every Illuminate knows many (or any). So the child of an Illuminate would at most have a small percentage chance of becoming one - so it can happen, but is fairly rare.

	Cheers
		David