[Runequest] Extreme Cases

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Tue Sep 3 06:37:51 EST 2013

You don't get to be an Illuminate just because your parents are. You might follow religious practices that welcome Illumination, but it is still usually fairly difficult to achieve.

Generally it is now understood that Daka Fal is the Praxian name, but that most Ancestor worship practices are very similar. Most Daka Fal shamans might hate Illumination (once it was explained to them, anyway), but there are ancestor worshippers within the Lunar Empire. It would be very odd for someone who was young, and committed to other practices, to be a shaman, but being an active ancestor worshipper while being a member of another religion was as well isn't even that odd.

And while of course it would be odd to be an Illuminated Issaries member, for the Etyries cult Illumination would be a common aspiration.

And of course learning sorcery is possible, though deeply weird for most Orlanthi. But it is also something that is very time consuming to become good at.

So becoming a lay member/acolyte of the four traditions mentioned is certainly possible - but becoming an expert magician in all four probably just impossible on sheer time constraints. Being bad at multiple types of magic is only marginally more useful than being a bad fighter with multiple weapons.

Cheers

David