[Runequest] The RQIII Dodge fix

Lev Lafayette lev at rpgreview.net
Tue Oct 8 15:36:19 EST 2013

On Tue, October 8, 2013 3:15 pm, Styopa wrote:
> Nevertheless, dodge-as-written still remains useful:
> 1) dodge, and you can dodge ALL attacks from that target.  That can be a
> dozen attacks.
> 2) dodge successfully, and you avoid ALL damage, whether it was a 1-point
> whiff or a 45-point chomp from a dragon.
> 3) dodge avoids follow-on effects of hits that don't even penetrate armor,
> like magic-touch attacks or acid.

Re 2: I think that point was made with the example in the rulebook of
fighting a lion with a dagger. To paraphrase; "parrying a lion with a
dagger is an exercise in futility".

The simplest and oft-used solution is simply to have degree of dodge
success reduce the degree of attack success. So a successful dodge (-1)
against a critical attack (+3, success, special, critical) would reduce
the critical to a success.

This can be used for other contested rolls as well.

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GCertPM, MBA
mobile:  0432 255 208