[Runequest] Quick-and-dirty skill pyramid

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 23:09:50 EST 2013

I think that's merely a factor of the granularity rationalizations inherent
in any RPG 'stat' system...each stat lumps in a collective group of
conceptually-similar but recognized-distinct factors; for example
"Intelligence" generally is assumed to include (at least) 3 almost
unrelated facets: memory, knowledge (or, how much one has learned), and
what I'd call brainpower or raw cunning.  I know a rather large number of
people who are strong in one of these three but extremely bad at the other
two.  "Dex" includes balance, reflexes, flexibility, physical dexterity,
coordination, sometimes even running speed, etc.

As a tangent, it seems that most systems have 6-8 attributes (primary or
derived-secondary).  I seem to remember Rolemaster had a ton (although one
could say so does RQ with the 'Agility', etc mods.).  Anyone remember any
systems that had substantially more?

Good article on RPG stats, systems, and how they could be perhaps better
evaluated: http://hiddenway.tripod.com/articles/attrib.html