[Runequest] Quick-and-dirty skill pyramid

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 13:18:11 EST 2013

What I like about advantages and disadvantages is the degree to which they
allow customization of a character. I'm not looking for a new way for
minmaxers to abuse the system; rather, I'd like to see the system gain the
ability to handle more detail in a meaningful way.

For example, I'm a "supertaster". To me, it seems that most people go
through life smelling and tasting remarkably little (smell and taste play a
comparatively large role in my campaigns as a result). I'm also nearsighted
and farsighted, correctable to 20/15. No version of RQ or BRP that I know
of has any way to reflect such abilities and disabilities save by GM fiat.
And they're not just unimportant window dressing; my sense of smell has
probably saved my life at least twice, or at least helped me to avoid
considerable harm. My poor vision has also led to at least one
life-threatening situation. These things *matter*. We ALL have such
personal qualities. And yet unless the GM or player makes a special
exception, RuneQuest characters simply don't.

So I'm not really looking for advantages of the GURPS Supers variety;
rather, I'm thinking about ways to implement the personal differences which
can be significant but are currently not represented in the system. I'm
almost tempted to add another section to the Chaos Project on my site for
this topic.

But building it into the system is a puzzler, I'll admit. Folding it into
an overall system that includes skills and characteristics would be a
dauntingly large project, and subject to abuse. Perhaps it should be a
stand-alone system, a module that can be plugged into other RPGs. On the
other hand, GURPS has done a ton of work on this already. But there might
be an advantage to having such a system that's actually designed for the
D100 family of systems.

Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com