[Runequest] Quick-and-dirty skill pyramid

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 00:41:49 EST 2013

Thanks Bruce, I didn't know about RQ6/Legend's smaller skill lists and
higher base; I've added appropriate caveats to the version I'll eventually
post on my RQ site.

At the risk of being told I'm an idiot, let me veer into a more speculative
realm.

Building on the skill pyramid character design system, in the past I've
experimented a little with folding this system in with a characteristic
point-buying system. In that system, PCs start with all characteristics at
species average, and can sell or buy characteristic points using the same
build points that they'd spend on skills (the total number of points being
increased, of course!). In that case characteristics were tiered in value,
with Dexterity and Intelligence the most expensive and Size the cheapest
since both high and low SIZ have benefits and drawbacks.

Each additional point of characteristic would cost as much as the previous
point, plus the cost of the initial added point. So Dexterity would cost 10
points for the first point, 20 for the second, 30 for the third, 40 for the
fourth, etc. Each point would have to be paid for, so assuming that DEX
started at 11 (rounding the species average upward) a DEX of 18 would cost
280 skill points. Since Intelligence starts two points higher (due to the
higher species average - 2D6+6 rather than 3D6) an Intelligence of 18 costs
150 points.

Power costs 8 skill points for the first point, Strength 7, Constitution 5,
Appearance 3, and Size 1. All increase in cost the same way for additional
points.

All point buys in a specific characteristic must be made and paid for at
once. You cannot buy a point of a characteristic at a time to get it more
cheaply. Of course no characteristic can be bought above the normal rolled
maximum without special dispensation from the gamemaster.

Characteristic points can be sold in the same way, yielding skill points.
So if three points of Intelligence are sold, the PC gains (10+20+30) 60
skill points. Again, no characteristic may be sold down below minimum value
without the GM's approval, and any reduction of more than two points would
likewise require a sign-off by the GM.

Using this system, it would cost a human 1,368 points to have an 18 in
every characteristic. I'm still pondering the total number of points that
would be appropriate for a combined skill-and-characteristic system.

I also noticed with interest long ago that the GURPS system of advantages
and disadvantages could be incorporated very nicely into RuneQuest - and
what's more, it could easily be made to fit in with the point-buying system!

->Peter

Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com