[Runequest] Quick-and-dirty skill pyramid

Bruce Mason mason.bruce at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 08:29:43 EST 2013

I have used versions of this though not quite as generous. That said, I've
used it mostly for the RQ6/Legend branch which has much smaller skill lists
and a reasonably high base chance.
1*60, 2*50, 3*40 and 4*30 is the basic pyramid I use (400 skill points)
then either 5*20 (and you can add to pre-existing skills) or 2*50 to two
new skills.
Finally everyone gets +40 to own language, lore (homeland), culture
(homeland). These do stack with any other additions.

Bruce

On 17 November 2013 20:33, Peter Maranci <pmaranci at gmail.com> wrote:

> For many years now I've used a quick-and dirty method of skill generation
> for RuneQuest, and I thought it might be worth posting here. I hope I
> didn't post it before!
>
> Call it a skill pyramid. After the players have generated their
> characteristics and determined their skill category bonuses, they have the
> following points that they can distribute into their skills:
>
> 70 x 1
> 60 x 2
> 50 x 3
> 40 x 4
> 30 x 5
> 20 x 6
> 10 x 7
>
> So they can add 70% to one skill, adding that to the base (or cultural)
> percentage and their category modifier. They can add 60% to two other
> skills, using the same method. Etc, etc.
>
> Of course attacks and parries are separate skills. If a character is using
> a specialization which is skill-intensive, such as RQIII Sorcery, I'll
> allow them additional skill percentages as needed to maintain reasonable
> balance.
>
> Although they're not normally allowed to add to a skill more than once -
> for example they can't add up all seven 10% additions and give themselves a
> second +70 - I do sometimes allow them to add leftover 10s or 20s to a
> skill that has already had an add. But NO skill can have more than a total
> 70% add, and I'd be very unlikely to allow any additional add that
> increases the total addition to more than 50%.
>
> Of course, for a higher-level campaign I'd increase the top skill level.
> And I'd decrease it for a low-level one.
>
> So has anyone else used this method? Or something like it?

The art is pretending it's art, the question is do you need soup.