[Runequest] Pete's RQ updates & D&D conversion notes

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 07:44:09 EST 2013

For those not sure what he's talking about, the D&D3.0 SRD is here (
http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd.html) and the feats list is here (
http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd/srdfeats.rtf).

Honestly, I'd say feats are either VERY simple to convert, rationalizing
them to % from d20 as an innate character natural benefit (Alertness feat
normally gives +2 on listen/spot checks; in RQ I'd say it's 'Keen Senses'
+10% to the same; Brew Potion feat just gives the RQ character some basic
skill at Knowledge (Alchemy)), systemically impossible (Heavy Armor feat,
for example, exists in D&D *solely* to prevent mages from wearing armor -
clearly, that's not what RQ's about...), or silly (Empower, Maximize
Damage, etc.).
There are some boundary-cases like Cleave; one could argue it's a 'special
mighty blow' technique I guess - that I frankly find silly to my
simulationist ethos, and would just disregard to the great wails and
gnashing of player-teeth.

I can't say that I've migrated all that many characters from D&D to RQ -
this has only ever really been a thought-exercise.  By the time they're
leveled-up enough to make the transfer challenging, they're so
intrinsically wedded into the D&D level-based system that transfer to RQ is
practically crippling.

OTOH, I *do* cheerfully use D&D modules in my game, as my players enjoy
classic dungeon crawls.  I contextualize to RQ setting thematically, of
course, and then technically (in treasure, for example, gp = silver
pennies, potions are largely left unchanged, other magic items are
converted to MP crystals or comparable items (a +1 sword becomes +1 damage,
+5% to hit/parry, etc)) and winging it madly as far as encounters, either
scaling them approximately to RQ (ie a room of 16 orcs might end up being a
half-dozen broo as numbers are SO much more weighty in RQ) or just leaving
them as-is (a tomb with 10 skeleton guards in RQ is scary, compared to a
D&D walk-in-the-park challenge).

Shrine of Tamoachan, Rahasia, Tomb of Horrors, yes, even the Barrier Peaks
were great fun.
Ravenloft - as an RQ adventure - will be amazing when they stumble onto it.