[Runequest] Stupid monsters...

Ravi Desai rdesai at chartermi.net
Fri May 17 21:01:05 EST 2013

A lot of people didn't believe Platypuses (Platypi?) were real when they were first documented, so sometimes truth can be stranger than fiction.  But that doesn't mean that game designers didn't put a bunch of stupid stuff in there too.

Many of the bad examples were Monsters invented just to have some bad pun or play on words.  We read a lot of Xanth when we were role-playing as kids, so we stole the bad pun stuff from there and incorporated it into our D&D games a lot.  Some of his other examples are pretty funny; clothes that eat you, floors and ceilings that eat you, treasure chests that eat you, documenting the digestive system of a living stalactite that drops on you to impale eat you (and has no obvious way to get back on the ceiling again).  I'm not quite sure how they get so big if they can only eat once.  Living traps type of stuff.

RQ has some silly monsters for sure,  but a lot fewer of the "game turned against you" variety.  None of it bothers me anyway.  I've only been in one campaign where anyone took it anything like seriously.  It's all part of the fun, we should be able to laugh at our games and ourselves.

-Ravi