[Runequest] Flaming attacks

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 01:02:15 EST 2013

I'd guess swamp-damp thatch would be extremely hard to light, about like
live grass at least - the main problem with thatch in such a climate would
be mold and damp, ie not much help.

Having done a fair bit of experimentation with flaming projectiles in my
youth, I can confirm that flaming arrows are rather harder to get 'right'
than the movies make it seem.  Generally, whatever lights and burns easily
also goes out with the flight of the arrow most of the time.  Even shooting
pitch-coated shafts, with a small rag tied behind the head (not to carry
the fire per se, but in an attempt to create a 'protected' spot where the
fire wouldn't blow out either behind or under the cloth along the shaft)
into a pile of DRIED LEAVES....didn't set the pile alight.  Personally, I'd
say the likelihood of lighting damp thatch or hard wood is functionally
zero.

Tennis balls soaked in gasoline WILL however light such a pile of leaves
quite handily.

On the other hand, if they happen to have large Estes rockets with which
they can coat the inside with wax and fill with a jelled gasoline, when
over-engined (for the weight) I can certify that these will work REMARKABLY
(one might say surprisingly) well at setting many things alight such as,
for example, a neighbor's roof while they're off at work.  It will then
prove equally challenging to find a ladder and extinguish said blaze before
anything catastrophic happens, will result in ongoing cardiac arrest while
waiting for the inevitable discovery and communication to your parents, and
will cost you a fair bit of your savings and summer break re-shingling the
portion of said home.

Hypothetically, of course.