[Runequest] RQ6 Combat Styles

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Tue May 14 03:11:39 EST 2013

This may sound weak, but I told my players that anything reasonable that
they could come up with and justify (either in literature, or even just a
good picture like from the Palladium Weapons books) would be acceptable to
assert a 'set' of weapons available to a combat style.
Further, I would listen to their rationalization, and then typically give
them the choice of one of a couple different special-attack abilities like
the intimidating shout, etc.  This made it a nicely interactive process, it
helped with character visualization, and allowed me to 'nudge' their
character if I felt they were underpowered or overpowered and trying to
game the system (oh, your background is reasonably plausible and lets you
be really good with a half-dozen different weapons?  Then here's your
relatively weak special attack (or none at all).).  It played quite well
with my group at least.