[Runequest] RQ6 Combat Styles

Phil Hendry philhendry at macace.net
Tue May 14 01:57:12 EST 2013

Hi Guys,

I'm in a slight pickle here...  I was expecting to be running my first RQ6 game in about six weeks time, so was taking my time getting organised.  However, the mother of the guy who is/was GMing our current game (40K Dark Heresy) has just died, so I'm being thrust into the fray before I'm anything like ready, because he's (a) grieving, and (b) having to deal with her estate and will and all that.

As regards tables, I'm okay, 'cos I can nick the ones from the downloadable 'GM Pack'.  Characters I'll make a start on preparing before the game, and the players can spend part of the first session 'filling in the blanks' so as to 'take ownership' (they don't much like the 'nitty gritty', but are happy to do the 'soft' bits - descriptions, backgrounds and the like).  Where I'm at a bit of a loss though, is Combat Styles...  Which seem to be integral to RQ6 (and do look like a good idea).  The problem is that, though there's a lot of waffle about Combat Styles, there's almost no hard data - just two examples in sidebars.  Has anyone been down this sort of road and produced any combat styles I could beg/borrow/steal - preferably for a European Early Medieval world (think Western Europe, AD800 - 1100) - please??

The setting is a 'home-brewed' one, which I've been slowly writing notes for over the past five years or so, and have been gathering together and making reasonably 'internally consistent' over the past few weeks/months.  It's a *fairly* traditional medieval fantasy world, with the usual peoples - humans, dwarves, halflings and elves - though with some twists to make it a bit different.

Thanks,
Phil