[Runequest] Fact Check

Asher Royce Yaffee ashersensei at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 14:43:40 EST 2013

Hi, All,
   I looked up the equation, plugged in some numbers, and found that I was
way off.  The velocity difference between the ring floor and the top of the
spill mountains is trivial.  No worry at all about the ground sliding out
from under the troll as he falls, or about forests hitting him sideways at
60 mph.  With a drop speed of only 9.7 meters per second (the equivalent of
dropping from a 16-foot height), it looks like Ringworld is ideal for
parachute drops.
   Back in college, when I played a lot of science fiction RPG, we worked
out the speeds and radii of space stations and ships that had rotating
parts for artificial gravity.  In the smaller scale of, say, the Babylon 5
space station, changing your altitude makes a real difference.  And
throwing grenades gets tricky.  :-)
   So I vote in favor of the troll making a successful jump.
   Yours,
Asher