[Runequest] Fact check

christopher sigmund christopher.sigmund at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 13:07:22 EST 2013

You can not wear nine parachutes. It was a pain just getting into one, and
even then you had to make sure your anatomy was "arranged" or the straps
running down between your legs will apply... uncomfortable pressure :) One
might be able to jury-rig two, although upon opening they would interfere
with each other, not being designed to work together. Come to think of it,
I doubt the troll describes would even be able to ge the chute on, let
alone be helped by it.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM, Peter Maranci <pmaranci at gmail.com> wrote:

> So is there anyone who thinks that the troll would NOT end up as a thin
> red film on the scrith?
>
> Also, can anyone who has had experience with parachutes confirm that you
> can't just wear nine parachutes? I assume that they would need to be
> arranged so as not to interfere with each other, nor "stack up". Lacking
> any experience or even *familiarity* with the concept, I imagine the odds
> of successfully setting up a bunch of parachutes to for a heavy payload
> would be astronomically small - less than 1 in 100. Sound reasonable?
>
> ->Peter
>

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Sven Lugar <vikingjarl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  This sounds like a fun sport! (except for the troll)
>>

>> On 3/26/2013 2:51 PM, Peter Maranci wrote:
>>
>>  The Ringworld's rotation is 770 miles per second. He'd share that speed
>> when he jumped...but presumably, he'd slow down in relation to to the
>> ground. My physics were never good enough to calculate the effects of air
>> friction and such. But in any case, since we know that the chutes were
>> rates for approximately 400 pounds, and he's definitely much heavier than
>> that, I foresee shredding and* **troll-bombs.*
>>
>>  ...snip...

> --
> Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com
> Pete's RuneQuest & Roleplaying! http://www.runequest.org/rq.htm
> The Diary of A Simple Man: http://bobquasit.livejournal.com/

Christopher Sigmund

It is better to travel well than to arrive.
- Buddha