[Runequest] Fact check

christopher sigmund christopher.sigmund at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 06:06:16 EST 2013

I'd agree as well. I have no math to back it up, but I spent a few years in
the 82nd Airborne Division and have made over 30 military jumps. The first
thing that came to my mind was that the chute would never slow the feller
down enough to enable him to survive the fall. Our chutes resulted in a
falling speed that, even for an average sized 18 year old soldier like me,
would result in moderate to severe injuries if the landing was executed
incorrectly or on bad terrain. One of my buddies broke his ankle in several
places landing on un-even ground. the chutes were designed to get us to the
ground as quickly as possible without dying :) For that much weight the
chute just would not be enough. He'd need one designed for a vehicle, I'd
think.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Sven Lugar <vikingjarl at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I have to concur with that assessment & the remains of the chute would be
> blown over the entire length of the ringworld. Even a HALO jump on Earth
> you spend a goodly time wondering if you are even going to hit the
> continent you are aiming at so shreds of silk would be really flying.
>
> Sköl,
> Sven
>

> On 3/25/2013 10:44 AM, Styopa wrote:
>
> T-7s had a weight limit of ~360-400 lbs, claiming they could reliably land
> 2 individuals, but those are WW2-size guys, ie ~150-180lbs each.
>

>  Of course, parachutes depend on gravity.  As a Ringworld ostensibly
> generates gravity through centrifugal (centripetal) force the question
> becomes - if the troll can generate enough force on departure to counteract
> this rotation (ok that's a lot -
> http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/scifi/ringworld.html ) he'd just
> HANG there, not falling at all.
>
>  Whatever velocity he can generate on takeoff is going to reduce his
> falling speed.
>
>  But no, siz 37 = about 650kg.  The iron plate for that individual would
> be what, at least another 200kg, call it a total of 800kg.  Assuming no
> substantial start velocity as above, a 2000-lb weight on a WW2
> paratrooper's chute means it would be shredded almost instantly and the
> troll would end up a troll-colored smear in a troll-shaped crater.
>
>  Assuming that his density is about 1.1, surface area with everything is
> (generously) 3sqm, his terminal velocity would be about 70 m/s in air.
>  He's going to hit at nearly 160 mph.
>
>  He'd reach this in about 8 seconds - call it 10, with the time for the
> chute to shred - after which he'd only have fallen only about 325m.  From
> that point on he's not accelerating any more, then it's just falling and
> screaming.
>
>  He has 800,000m to fall.
>
>  He'd fall for about 3 minutes to a spectacular splat.
>
>  At least, that's my guess.
>
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Leon Kirshtein <leonbk at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>    I have a question which may seem a *trifle* unusual. But I think that
>> I'm more likely to get an answer from this list than anywhere else.
>>
>> Could an eleven-foot-tall SIZ 37 great troll in iron platemail, carrying
>> a troll maul, a greatsword, and a backpack, using a standard WWII
>> paratrooper parachute, successfully parachute to a landing if he started
>> from from 500 miles up the Spill Mountains (i. e. the rim) of the Ringworld?
>>
>> Also, what would be the effects and strain of a 500-mile parachute jump,
>> both on the troll and the parachute? I've never parachuted at all, so I
>> don't know. It seems to me that the seams and straps might break?
>>
>> And did they use silk or nylon for parachutes back then?
>>
>> Thanks!

Christopher Sigmund

It is better to travel well than to arrive.
- Buddha