[Runequest] Fact check

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 04:44:48 EST 2013

T-7s had a weight limit of ~360-400 lbs, claiming they could reliably land
2 individuals, but those are WW2-size guys, ie ~150-180lbs each.

Of course, parachutes depend on gravity.  As a Ringworld ostensibly
generates gravity through centrifugal (centripetal) force the question
becomes - if the troll can generate enough force on departure to counteract
this rotation (ok that's a lot -
http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/scifi/ringworld.html ) he'd just HANG
there, not falling at all.

Whatever velocity he can generate on takeoff is going to reduce his falling
speed.

But no, siz 37 = about 650kg.  The iron plate for that individual would be
what, at least another 200kg, call it a total of 800kg.  Assuming no
substantial start velocity as above, a 2000-lb weight on a WW2
paratrooper's chute means it would be shredded almost instantly and the
troll would end up a troll-colored smear in a troll-shaped crater.

Assuming that his density is about 1.1, surface area with everything is
(generously) 3sqm, his terminal velocity would be about 70 m/s in air.
 He's going to hit at nearly 160 mph.

He'd reach this in about 8 seconds - call it 10, with the time for the
chute to shred - after which he'd only have fallen only about 325m.  From
that point on he's not accelerating any more, then it's just falling and
screaming.

He has 800,000m to fall.

He'd fall for about 3 minutes to a spectacular splat.

At least, that's my guess.