[Runequest] Magical Home Court Advantage?

Mark Ahnen ahnen at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 4 06:42:06 EST 2013

Asher,My short and brief (sketchy on facts) answer is that in reality, each is a product of their culture, technology and resources.  Granted, that sounds obvious and since 'reality' isn't what we care that much about, maybe it won't serve your needs.But, Roman legions came from a culture where cities/empire paid the legionairy had to fight in a variety of climates, situations across the empire, and where professional (paid) soldiers were available.  Knights were the nobility of the land, a rather rural land at that, and there were no standing armiesSpartan Hoplites, similar to the knights, lived in a place where horses were rare enough that most of the armies were long spear/pike carrying soldiers in a fairly rough terrain. Maybe the cultural/technology/terrain differences suffice as home field advantage?  Maybe, aside from the legionaires, that they really don't have the capabilities to go far afield? Just my 2 cents.Mark