[Runequest] Meditating on Encumberance

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 09:41:14 EST 2013

I've adopted a variant of the rq6 fatigue table, albeit customized to be
much more linear and gradual (in the same number of steps), and have these
red glass beads to give to the players to represent accumulating fatigue.
Each bead basically means -10% to everything, and they are a nice obvious
indicator...a big pile of beads in front of a player says clearly
"exhausted".
Of course, it's handing them out that's complicated.
Generally my rule is that I hand out a bead to a toon on:
-any % roll of doubles, ever.
-any night they don't get a full nights sleep
-per half day of hard work, including traveling
-now I have added it as a bleed effect like rq6
-If it's really hot, I hand out 2 beads per, instead of one
-If they are heavily encumbered, also 2 per

To remove the beads:
- 15 minutes of deliberate rest gives you a con roll to recover 1 bead
The con roll is x6 MINUS the number of beads you have, down to x1
- the folk magic spell vigor (instant, stackable) instantly removes 1 per
point

It may not be super realistic, but it's playable and it works.