[Runequest] RQ6 questions

Tony Den postmaster at runequest.za.org
Wed Jun 19 21:47:08 EST 2013

Asher Royce Yaffee wrote:
> Hi, All,
>    I have a few questions about RQ6.  At the moment, our setting is
> Greco-Roman-ish, and the kids had some questions.  I would much appreciate
> the opinion of anyone who has read, used, or otherwise participated in RQ6
<Snip>
In terms of the spatha my understanding is it developed from the gladius
as time progressed and cavalry became more used by the legions (in early
times cavalry were often mercenaries). As the gladius was too short to use
effectivly from horseback the spatha was developed by effectively just
making a long gladius. As such I would rule it to be pretty much a
broadsword.

In terms of the armour it depends on period. The Lorica Segmentata that
came about after the Marian Reforms was articulated plate as far as I
understand. Definitly hard armour in my opinion.

I defer to David re the greek shortsword. Although I heard somewhere that
the older soldiers at the back of the phalanx used them to goad on the
younger spear bearers in front of them....