[Runequest] RQ6 questions

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Wed Jun 19 16:43:00 EST 2013

On 19/06/2013, at 1:18 PM, Asher Royce Yaffee <ashersensei at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, All,
>    I have a few questions about RQ6.  At the moment, our setting is Greco-Roman-ish, and the kids had some questions.  I would much appreciate the opinion of anyone who has read, used, or otherwise participated in RQ6 -- if you have the time and inclination to answer.
>
> 1.  Which sword in the RQ6 list would best cover the stats for the Roman cavalry sword, the spatha?  (I assume that the Roman infantry sword, the gladius, would be treated as a shortsword.)

	Even though the rules say it isn't available until the medieval era, I'd say the spatha feels more like a broadsword than a sabre, even though it is a cavalry weapon. But your mileage may vary - is the distinguishing feature of a sabre the curve, or the design for cavalry use? Presuming the former, a scatha would have to be a broadsword by elimination. Hopefully someone on the list who is more of a military historian can give a better answer.

	Now I look at the list in detail, I'm also a bit confused by the existence of the scimitar - essentially, by making a sabre sightly bigger, it loses the ability to impale, thus making a scimitar similar to, but notably inferior to, a broadsword.

> 2.  In our campaign, the NPC centurion to whom the players report wears cuirbouilli (sp?).  Does cuirbouilli use the same stats as linothrax?

	I'd treat it as laminated armour made of leather (so with 2x the Enc of normal). Unusually heavy cuirbolli could be equivalent to scaled (at 2x ENC). For cuirbolli amour equivalent to any heavier armour, the leather would have to come from an unusually thick/durable source.

> 3.  I get confused easily about types of armor.  When my kids start picking out their armor on page 86, they'll have questions which I cannot easily answer.
>    Laminar is listed as "Flexible".  When I look it up on wikipedia, the photos look articulated, but not flexible.  Chainmail is listed as "Rigid", yet looks flexible.
>    Any advice on how best to explain these categories to the kids?

	The only rules difference between flexible and rigid appears to be how closely they need to be fitted to the wearer. So explain that laminar can more easily be 'let out' or 'taken in' to fit the wearer than chain can.

> 4.  Anachronisms are welcome in our adventures, and a player has rolled up a Spartan hoplite to fight alongside the legionaries.  (I'm thinking, "Don't rain on their parade over trivial things like historical realism."  I'm sure you understand.)  What was name of the sword that hoplites carried, and would it be treated as a shortsword?

It was called a xiphos. I'd say definitely yes, it was a shortsword. They had to be short, as they were used in very close quarters once the spears were too long to be useful. They varied in length, but apparently in some eras, they became short enough they'd probably count as daggers.

	Cheers
		David