[Runequest] [RQIII]Gorgon

Tony Den postmaster at runequest.za.org
Tue Jun 4 15:45:58 EST 2013

David Cake wrote:
> It is a GMs call. The rules aren't clear on exactly when you treat such
> magical powers as spells, and not.
>
> But I'd make it reversible somehow, and Dismiss Magic seems ok. Divine
> Intervention? Some obscure form of movement magic? It still isn't an easy
> thing to do, and being petrified by magic shouldn't be harder to reverse
> than death.
>
> But it is up to you. If you want the players to pay a 'grave price', then
> make it irreversible. If the character really is crucial to the plot,
> maybe giving them a way to reverse it eventually might make for a better
> game in the end.

Thanks Dave (and Mark on his post as well). For sure what Dave said was my
line of thinking. Hey I am not second guessing myself, the play was done
and that's that, player is not fussed and already has designs on new
character. Agree GM's decision, I reckon it comes down to the situation.
New character in simple adventure easy call. Established character in long
term campaign, I would usually give a second chance.

One small comment at the end of the RQ-III creatures description leaves an
opening of sorts. It says the spirit remains, unless the statue is broken.
Which could actually give some groups an excuse to go on a hero quest to
gain a boon from a god or something.

Parting thought - while there are certainly more powerful monsters with
huge damage etc I reckon the gorgon is possibly the nastiest. I have only
ever used it twice but both times there has been the "satisfaction" of
petrifying a character <queue diabolic laugh>
Cheers
Tony