[Runequest] Getting used to RQ6.

Lawrence Whitaker lawrence.whitaker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 03:40:23 EST 2013

And I started prepping my kids for the switch to new rules.  I gave them a
sneak peek at the book, thanks to Mr. Whitaker's youtube.

I hoped it helped!

  I put the player characters in a bad spot during an adventure, and then
introduced "a new rule from Runequest 6, the Luck Point", with which the
players were able to save their characters.

Good way of introducing new concepts.

  I picked up a bargain box book called "Warriors versus Warriors" --
gladiator vs. samurai and such nonsense, but fun for kids -- to show
fighting styles.  You get the picture.

By sheer coincidence I was in a Dollar Store last week, and looking at
exactly the same book. I considered buying a copy, but decided against it
because, we've just moved house, have nowhere for our existing mountain of
books to live, and didn't want to add to the piles and piles of books
scattered throughout various rooms!

  My daughter likes Anathaym (sp?).  All is good.

You spelled it correctly. :-)

   I'm the one having trouble adjusting.  When I look at a table and see
different numbers for hit points or weapon damage, some small part of my
brain reflexively declares, "Wrong!"  If I were buying a different game, I
wouldn't have this response.  But RQ6 is clearly, unquestionably RuneQuest.
 So I keep getting this unhelpful knee-jerk reaction.

It'll come. Yes, there are lots of little changes to things like Hit Points
and armour values, but all for good reasons and, I would imagine, you'll
get used to things quickly once you start play.

Let us know how you get on!

On 2 June 2013 12:46, Asher Royce Yaffee <ashersensei at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, All,
>    Summer is fast approaching -- campaign season, in our household -- and
> my venerable RQ3 books cannot survive weeks of my children thumbing through
> and looking up tables and monsters.  Knowing this, I started saving up my
> pennies to buy RQ6.
>    And I started prepping my kids for the switch to new rules.  I gave
> them a sneak peek at the book, thanks to Mr. Whitaker's youtube.  I put the
> player characters in a bad spot during an adventure, and then introduced "a
> new rule from Runequest 6, the Luck Point", with which the players were
> able to save their characters.  I picked up a bargain box book called
> "Warriors versus Warriors" -- gladiator vs. samurai and such nonsense, but
> fun for kids -- to show fighting styles.  You get the picture.
>    Then I ordered the book.  It should come in the mail this week.  In the
> meantime, we've been looking through the PDF.  And it is hard for me to get
> used to.
>    The kids are fine with it.  They don't get lost trying to find the
> right skill on their character sheets.  In switching to a fighting style,
> they get to take the highest weapon skill for their new combined skill.
>  They get luck points.  My daughter likes Anathaym (sp?).  All is good.
>    I'm the one having trouble adjusting.  When I look at a table and see
> different numbers for hit points or weapon damage, some small part of my
> brain reflexively declares, "Wrong!"  If I were buying a different game, I
> wouldn't have this response.  But RQ6 is clearly, unquestionably RuneQuest.
>  So I keep getting this unhelpful knee-jerk reaction.
>    But I'll get over it.  :-)
>
> Asher

Will there be time enough and World for me to sing that song?