[Runequest] RQ III to MRQ1 to RQVI conversions

Bruce Mason mason.bruce at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 20:56:20 EST 2013

Personally, if money is tight, I would invest £1 in the Legend rulebook.
Legend is RQII with the numbers filed off. I really wouldn't bother
updating to MRQ1. Legend is also very close to RQ6 and a subsequent upgrade
to that will be mostly painless.

If you do upgrade to MRQ1 then the massive difference between MRQ1 and
Legend/RQ6 is the magic systems. Especially the horrible mess that MRQ1
made of what RQ3 calls spirit magic. MRQ1 turned the spells into "Rune
Magic" requiring physical runes and separate runecasting skills for each
rune. Legend/RQ6 turned it back into common/folk magic.

RQ3 spirit magic was  found in Cults of Glorantha vol 2 but is
incomprehensible. Not the authors fault as apparently Mongoose changed the
core rules after he submitted it. It was replaced with Legend/RQ6 spirit
magic/animism which is a more free form system of bargaining with spirits.

MRQ1 divine magic is also a horrible mess and if you go through the pain of
trying to update RQ3 characters to it you'll only regret it.

MRQ1 sorcery was mechanically sound but they forgot to modify the spell
effects for the new mechanics meaning that the spells are all over the
place and you pretty much have to go through and rewrite each spell. There
was also a very controversial mechanic meaning that you could cast cantrip
level spells for 0 Magic Points. Some of which were pretty lethal.

Really, don't do it. For the sake of a pound each you can go straight to
Legend and save yourself a lot of grief.

On 14 July 2013 11:44, David Cake <dave at difference.com.au> wrote:

> A difficult question. If it was me, I'd break open the piggy bank and grab
> the RQ6/MRQ2 material and not bother with MRQ1 material at all.
>
> The most important conversion issue if you are planning to use MRQ1
> material but later convert to MRQ2 is ignore the entire 'Runes' concept.
> Oh, and Legendary Abilities, which I actually think are a pretty cool
> concept, but didn't make the transition to RQ6.
> Also, just be aware that while most of the rest of the main rulesbook is
> convertible with minimum changes, a lot of the supplementary books are not.
> Particularly things like the very high powered spells in the RQ spellbook.
>
> Cheers
>
>         David
>
> On 14/07/2013, at 12:26 PM, "Tony Den" <postmaster at runequest.za.org>
> wrote:
>
> > So I have been picking up many MRQ1 books on various sales and eBay
> > acutions an dthe players are pushing to "upgrade" from RQIII. As current
> > campaign is down to two core players (others come and go and put in guest
> > appearances) and one core character has just died, we believe the time is
> > tight to upgrade, as only one character will need conversion.
> >
> > That said, the ultimate plan is to one day find sufficient finances to
> > purchase RQVI, which will then require further character conversion. So
> as
> > one can surmise, MRQ1 (RQIV) will be an intermediate move. Now have heard
> > MRQ2 (RQV) and RQVI are pretty much the same, but are more similar to
> > RQIII than RQIV. That said, one wouldnt want to go to far down the RQIV
> > path then as 2-14 may well see another conversion.
> >
> > Soo, the question i am asking, are there any major, ground breaking
> > differences that one should possibly not boither with. As in one steps to
> > the left converting RQIII to RQIv and then steaps back to the right when
> > moving to RQV/RQVI?
> >
> > Tony

The art is pretending it's art, the question is do you need soup.