Lawrence Whitaker lawrence.whitaker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 11:38:46 EST 2013

Hi all,

I cut my teeth first on a T&T solo scenario published in 'The Gamer'
magazine. From there I went to (in this order)...

Basic D&D (purple box)
Traveller
AD&D (and I got rid of the Dungeon Master Guide when I found it unplayable
to get...)
RuneQuest
Stormbringer/Elric
Bushido (still a favourite game engine)
Cthulhu
Ringworld
Aftermath

And here I am, some 30 years later as RQ's publisher. Funny old world.

I very much enjoy 'old skool' games. The occasional, uncomplicated, bout of
D&D, or mindless gun-bunny Traveller is still a huge amount of fun.
Ultimately its not about the rules; its about the attitude and the people
you game with. I've been exceedingly fortunate in my gaming friends - many
of which have become firm, life-long friends - and I'll always be grateful
for that.

I love trying new systems. Everything has its merits. Recently I've enjoyed
AGON and The One Ring, and hope to shortly join an Ars Magica campaign.
RQ/BRP is still my one, true love, but I've had some wonderful gaming
sessions with Bushido and Aftermath, the core system of which, whilst
overcomplicated in both Aftermath and Daredevils, is actually very elegant
and intuitive.

Its really nice to see these reminiscences on this mailing list.

Lawrence