[Runequest] Reviews from people who've played RQ6?

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Sun Jan 27 15:04:23 EST 2013

On 27/01/2013, at 8:22 AM, Russell Hoyle <russell.hoyle at bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Can you expand a bit on:
> "I'm finding a few frustrations translating the Gloranthan sources (that are all MRQ2 or earlier) to RQ6"
>
> ,,,and your suggestion that MRQII/Legend is an easier conversion? Where are the main problems?

	Magic works differently between the two systems, particularly divine magic  and folk/common magic. There are both differences at the system level, and many many differences in specifics such as spell descriptions, some of which are quite significant.
	If you are using RQ6, you'll find yourself constantly having to make little adaptations, make little house rules, etc and finding that the various cults have quite different game balance in different editions (and quite possibly making house rules to compensate on the fly). It isn't a huge problem, but it is a very regular niggling issue, that simply (for the most part, though there are MRQ1/2 compatibility issues) disappears if you just use the rules that the Gloranthan material was written for. If you had a naturally nitpicking group, you could easily end up with a lot of rules arguments going between the two editions.

> Is it the task difficulties system, parts of the magic systems? Combat looks like a straight swap...

	Combat pretty much is a straight swap (with a few little changes here and there - combat styles are broader and more customised in RQ6, for example), but there are still a few issues. The way weapon damage and armour enhancing magic are balanced between the two is different, for example, so if you are adapting a scenario, or magic spells, from one to the other it can have big game balance implications. I have found that a lot of the magic effects in MRQ2 are very powerful in RQ6 terms because the rules are balanced differently, for example.

	Cheers
		David