[Runequest] Introduction

Asher Royce Yaffee ashersensei at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 09:17:56 EST 2013

Greetings, Phil,
   My name is Asher and I'm a middle aged middle school teacher.  These
days, I pretty much just game with my own children.  (Broadening my
horizons to game with grown-ups would require more time than I have.)
   Some time back in the Ice Age, I used to play Traveller, D&D, Cyberpunk,
and whatever my friends were into at any given moment -- but RQ is the only
RPG that continues to hold my interest over the decades.
   Worlds:  Fantasy Earth.  These days, my kids are into the Romans.  We've
got a couple of campaigns going:  fighting Gauls under Caesar's command
(military missions); and freelancing on the Persian-Roman border (with
Ducks in the swamps north of Basra).  When my kids eventually move onto
another setting, we'll switch worlds.
   For what it's worth, the factor I found most important in getting my own
players to accept a world setting is how they get access to magic.  For
example, if the PC's have to interact with priests of Apollo to get the
spells they want, then my players start accepting a Hellenistic and/or
Roman setting.  Likewise, if they had to turn to Babylonian sorcerers and
priests of Luxor to get magic, then my players would soon accept the
pre-Hellenistic Ancient World.  But your players are adults, so I don't
know how if that'll matter for you.  :-)
   Anyways, welcome aboard.
Asher