[Runequest] Introduction

Phil Hendry philhendry at macace.net
Sun Jan 27 07:00:18 EST 2013

Hello,

Wow, a proper mailing list - I haven't belonged to one of these for years!  So I suppose I'd better introduce myself properly.  My name is Phil.  By profession I am a low-temperature physicist, though I am taking an extended 'career break' - either that or I've retired early - not sure which yet.

I've been playing RPGs since 'white box' D&D in the late '70s.  Since then I/we have played a fair few different games.  I won't list them all, even if I could remember them!  Particular favourites over the years (or games we played a lot) include MERP, Rolemaster, Runequest (II/III), Traveller, Dark Heresy, WFRP2, Hârnmaster.  Recently we've been trying to play The One Ring (with me GMing - we tend to alternate GMing duties).  It hasn't been going well.  The books are easy to read, but hard to use as a reference, and the game itself seems very 'loose' and 'narrativist' which, it seems, doesn't really suit our gang.  We prefer more 'crunchy' games - as you can probably tell from the list of favourites.

After thirty-odd years of 'playing in other people's worlds', I am feeling the urge to build my own setting (even when those other worlds are as well thought out as Middle Earth or Kethira).  I thought about using Hârnmaster, but didn't fancy the task of disentangling the setting-specific rules, and the same goes for the others.  I/we also wanted a more 'magic-rich' game after the relative paucity of magic in, for instance, Middle Earth and Kethira.  So RQ6 looks like a good candidate.  There is a little (like the runes) which smacks of Glorantha, but those things fit nicely into what I envisage anyway.

So here I am, madly scribbling snippets of information about my own world as they occur to me whilst playing in a Dark Heresy game, and reading RQ6!  Schizophrenic, me?  Though I've played RQ (albeit over twenty years ago), I've never GMed it before.  I've also never got around to designing my own world before.  So I'm likely to be asking a lot of questions.

It's nice to find a proper mailing list with, to judge by the archives, some good, intelligent, discussions going on.

Cheers,
Phil

Sent from my iPad