[Runequest] RQ6 simulationist question

lev at rpgreview.net lev at rpgreview.net
Tue Jan 22 16:07:00 EST 2013

> One of the tests Steve ran when writing RQ back in the 70's was to time
> me & see how many blows I could throw, how many I could block, & how
> many I could throw & block in 12 seconds, 10 seconds, 5 seconds to
> determine the "best" length of a melee round. Considering that in the 12
> second round it was easily on the order of 15 to 20 blows thrown &
> blocked even after a long tiring session I would say that even a 5
> second melee round is a concatenation of a melee flurry.

Exactly. AD&D had it completely out of whack when they suggested one
effective blow per *minute*. RQ certainly had it about right with one
effective blow in melee per 10 or 12 second round.

GURPS of course, attempts to go for blow-by-blow, parry-by-parry,
block-by-block combat, with 1 second turns. Which, I have to say, does
work fairly well, and also with gunfire. But that's another conversation.